A healthy, gluten-free Instant Pot Lasagna Soup that tastes like it’s been cooking all day, but comes together so quickly thanks to the Instant Pot. The perfect cold weather comfort food for the 21 Day Fix and Weight Watchers!
Confession: I am literally a year behind posting this.
A freaking year!
I am constantly in a battle with time…and wishing for it to slow down. And then realizing that it was last January when I first made this recipe, well, I know who is winning that battle.
Anyway, I want to say that I think this one is worth the wait. I hope, anyway. There are actually a ton of lasagna soup recipes out there, and I sometimes shy away from recipes like that, but I believe mine holds it’s own.
I wanted this recipe to be simple, yet delicious. And I also really wanted to eliminate the need for a jar of sauce or a pot homemade sauce that many other Lasagna Soup recipes call for. I try to do this in a lot of my recipes – the Baked Ziti, Italian Chicken Skillet, because, well, jarred sauce is expensive! And I love stocking up on canned tomatoes for my pantry, so I usually have them on hand.
I think this has great flavor with all the garlic and fresh basil! My husband is a big Italian chicken sausage fan, so we used that for this recipe, but you can use ground turkey or ground beef if you prefer. And if you want to swap out the can of tomato sauce for jarred sauce or homemade, go for it!
If you are a regular follower of my blog, you know I have a lot of lasagna recipes out already…they all have one thing in common. They are “lazier” than your average lasagna, and this one is no exception! In fact, this might be the laziest of all!
It’s almost like an even more lazy than the others…like a lazier version of my lasagna roll ups which are pretty darn lazy!
Check it how easy it is here:
To make this Healthy Lasagna Soup even healthier, I added some spinach for extra green power! You can hide lots of veggies in this if you want – zucchini, mushrooms, more spinach!
And to keep this Healthy Instant Pot Lasagna Soup gluten free, I used brown rice lasagna noodles. If you aren’t gluten free, you can sub whole wheat noodles for the same cooktime.
Of course it wouldn’t be lasagna soup without the glorious CHEESE! I topped this with a little ricotta, mozzarella, and parmesan…but if you are dairy free, you can skip or top with some vegan cheese! Delicious either way!
Looking for more Healthy Lasagna recipes? Check out these posts!
Pumpkin Lasagna Roll Ups | The Foodie and The Fix
Healthy Instant Pot Lasagna Soup
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 1/4 lb Italian poultry sausage ground turkey, or lean ground beef
- 1 onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 4 cups chicken broth or stock
- 28 oz crushed tomatoes
- 14 oz tomato sauce
- Fresh basil
- 2 cups fresh spinach chopped
- 6 gluten free lasagna noodles broken into bite sized pieces (or use whole wheat)
- 1 1/2 cups ricotta
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese I use Pecorino Romano
- Set IP to saute and add olive oil to the bottom of the pot. Remove sausage from casing and saute until cooked through. Add in onions and saute until translucent. Add in garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Deglaze pot with chicken broth, then add in tomatoes and lasagna noodles. Stir in 1 Tbsp fresh basil.
- Place lid on Instant Pot and lock. Cook for 6 minutes on manual. After cook time, do a quick release. Stir in fresh spinach until it wilts.
- Ladle into bowls and top with 2 Tbsp mozzarella, ¼ cup of ricotta cheese, and 1 Tbsp of parmesan cheese. Garnish with additional basil.
- Add olive oil to the bottom of a large pan. Remove sausage from casing and saute until cooked through. Add in onions and saute until translucent. Add in garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Add to sausage to slow cooker then add in broth and tomatoes. Stir in 1 Tbsp fresh basil.
- Cook for 6-8 hours on low or 3-4 hours on high. With 30 minutes remaining, stir in spinach.
- Close to serving time, cook pasta according to package directions.
- When cook time is over, add cooked pasta the soup and give a good stir. Ladle into bowls and top with 2 Tbsp mozzarella, ¼ cup of ricotta cheese, and 1 Tbsp of parmesan cheese. Garnish with additional basil.