This incredibly easy and incredibly delicious Parmesan Roasted Baby Potatoes recipe will be your new favorite side dish.
I am absolutely hooked on this roasted baby potatoes recipe. It’s inspired by a trending recipe on TikTok, and it totally delivers on all fronts. It’s easy, made with just a few ingredients, and the flavor and crispy texture is total side dish perfection.
We love creamy Dairy Free Mashed Potatoes, and my easy Instant Pot Scalloped Potatoes, but I am seriously considering adding these Parmesan Roasted Baby Potatoes to my holiday menu because they are THAT good.
More Reasons to Love This Roasted Baby Potato Recipe
- So much flavor with very minimal effort – no tedious dicing veggies or peeling potatoes. Just a quick chop in half and you are good to go!
- It comes together with simple ingredients I always have on hand.
- It’s very hands off – the oven does most of the work, making this a great side dish for busy weeknights.
You’ll need the following ingredients for this recipe. For full ingredients and amounts, beck out the printable recipe card below.
- 1.5 lb baby potatoes or mini potatoes – I almost always add a bag of baby potatoes to my grocery order because they are so versatile! Baby potatoes are also sometimes called new potatoes.
- extra-virgin olive oil + cooking oil spray
- grated pecorino Romano or parmesan cheese
- garlic powder
- dried oregano or thyme
- paprika or smoked paprika
- kosher salt
- fresh herbs for garnish – fresh rosemary, fresh parsley or chives would be delicious
Substitutions and Variations
- use quartered red potatoes, yukon gold potatoes, or russet potatoes in place of the baby potatoes if that’s all you have on hand, Fingerling potatoes would also work well.
- use an Italian Seasoning blend if you don’t have oregano or thyme handy
- add some black pepper, crushed red pepper, or chili powder to the seasoning blend if you like more of a spicy kick to your potatoes
- toss in some fresh garlic for more intense garlic flavor
Step by Step Instructions
Step 1: Preheat oven to 400F. Mix cheese and spices together.
Step 2: Drizzle olive oil in a 9 x 13″ glass baking dish. Tilt pan to spread all over the base. Use a spoon to scatter the cheese and spice mixture onto the bottom of the pan in an even layer. Spread as evenly as you can BUT, this is important, do NOT attempt to spread it out or move once it’s sprinkled.
Step 3: Place potatoes cut side down in a single layer onto pan, pressing firmly into the cheese and spice mixture.
Step 4: Spray tops of potatoes with olive oil cooking spray, then sprinkle tops with another pinch of salt.
Step 5: Roast potatoes in the preheated oven for 35 – 40 minutes or until they are soft and the parmesan crust is nice and golden brown. Allow potatoes to cool in pan for 5 minutes before using a spatula to remove potatoes and cheesy crust!
Step 6: Garnish with fresh herbs, if desired, and enjoy!
Meal Prep and Storage
Prep Ahead: I love enjoying these roasted baby potatoes straight from the oven best, but you can also meal prep them and reheat them for a quick weeknight side dish or lunch carb. Just allow potatoes to cool before store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
To save time, you can wash and halve the potatoes and place in water. Store in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours. Dry well before resuming the recipe.
To Store: store potatoes in an air tight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
To Reheat: reheat potatoes in the air fryer, toaster oven, or microwave for a few minutes or until warmed through.
Yes! Baby potatoes or new potatoes are just potatoes that are harvest earlier in the season before they reach full maturity. They are a touch sweeter with tender, thin skin. They are the closet to red potatoes or fingerling potatoes if you need a substitute.
I can’t find baby potatoes. Can I make this with large potatoes? Yes, if all you have on hand is regular potatoes, you can still make these by cutting them into small quarter pieces the size of a half mini potato. Or try these Air Fryer Twice Baked Potatoes that look super yum, too!
Can I roast the potatoes on a sheet pan? Yes – for best results, I love using the glass pan for this recipe. There is zero mess and the potatoes get super crispy. I did also test this recipe using a large baking sheet pan lined with parchment paper and they came out great, too – just a touch less golden. But either way, you will end up with a delicious side dish!
Love this recipe? Please leave a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟rating & a review in the comments section! We love hearing from you!
Parmesan Roasted Baby Potatoes
- 1 1/2 lb baby potatoes halved
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Olive oil spray
- 1/3 cup grated pecorino romano or parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano or thyme
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- pinch of salt
- fresh herbs optional garnish
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Mix cheese and spices together.
- Drizzle olive oil in a 9 x 13″ glass baking dish. Tilt pan to spread all over the base.
- Use a spoon to scatter the cheese and spice mixture onto the bottom of the pan. Spread as evenly as you can and, this is important, do not attempt to spread it out or move once it’s sprinkled.
- Place potatoes cut side down onto pan, pressing firmly into the cheese and spice mixture.
- Spray tops of potatoes with olive oil cooking spray, then sprinkle tops with another pinch of salt.
- Bake potatoes for 35 – 40 minutes or until they are soft and the parmesan crust is nice and golden.
- Allow potatoes to cool in pan for 5 minutes before using a spatula to remove potatoes and cheesy crust!