Make a batch of Salt Free Taco Seasoning right at home with common spices found in your pantry! Using less sodium than store bought packets, you’ll love this homemade spice mix that you can use in all your favorite taco recipes! This post contains affiliate links for products I’m obsessed with.
This recipe was originally published on 3/24/15, and is getting a whole makeover with new photos, new info, and tips.
This Homemade Taco seasoning has been around since the beginning of the blog. One of the first recipes I EVER wrote. It’s a staple in our house and has become a staple in many of your houses over the years, too!
It has no added salt or sugar, like most of the store bought packets do. Another one of those times where reading your labels is so important!
Taco seasoning is so easy to make at home though, so go grab your spices and get mixing!
Ingredients for Salt Free Taco Seasoning
- chili powder – I’ve come to learn that most chili powders do, in fact, contain a small amount of salt but the amount is tiny in comparison to the sodium in store bought taco packets.
- paprika – gives a great smokey flavor
- ground cumin – there are some great health benefits of cumin, in addition to tasting great!
- onion powder – full of Vitamin B and C
- garlic powder – make sure it’s garlic powder, not garlic salt
- dried oregano – a little goes a long way
- cayenne pepper – for really picky eaters, you can leave this out, but most won’t notice the tiny kick that 1/8 tsp gives the spice blend. My kids eat it!
How To Make Homemade Taco Seasoning
Mix all of the spices together and store in a mason jar. I just put the lid on and give it a really good shake!
How long will Salt Free Taco Seasoning last?
It will last as long as the expiration dates on each of your spices, or 1 year. Whichever comes first!
But it never lasts long in our house! Tip: if you eat tacos weekly, you can easily double this recipe and not have to make it as often!
How much taco seasoning should I use in tacos?
Per each pound of meat, I use 1-2 Tablespoons of seasoning, 1/4 cup water, and 1 cup of canned tomato sauce. If you want to sneak in some hidden veggies try Hidden Cauliflower Taco Meat– I promise, no one will know!!
Looking for recipes using Homemade Taco Seasoning? Check these out-Print
Make a batch of Salt Free Taco Seasoning right at home with common spices found in your pantry! Using less sodium than store bought packets, you’ll love this spice mixture that you can use in all your favorite taco recipes!
6 teaspoons chili powder
5 teaspoons paprika
4½ teaspoons ground cumin
2½ teaspoons onion powder
2½ teaspoons garlic powder
1½ teaspoons dried oregano
⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Mix ingredients together and store in a mason jar. I just put the lid on and give it a good shake!
- Spice mixture will last 1 year when sealed properly!
Makes about 7 Tablespoons but perfect to double!
21 Day Fix Containers: FREE
WW: Green, Blue, Purple – ZERO points