These Instant Pot Chicken Tacos are fresh, delicious, and so quick and easy to make! And thanks to a homemade taco seasoning, they are a low sodium, low calorie, gluten-free way to celebrate taco Tuesday. Make a double batch and freeze for easy meal prep! This post contains affiliate links for products I’m obsessed with.
INSTANT POT CHICKEN TACOS
Let’s be real – I don’t think there’s ever a time when I’m not craving tacos. And thankfully I can make tacos multiple times per week and nobody here would complain.
It wasn’t always this way, though. For the longest time, I couldn’t get my picky daughter to eat taco meat. She would stuff her taco with all the toppings, but the meat would never make it in.
I questioned whether she was switched at birth because that is just not something I understand.
And then one day I made my exact same taco recipe, but used chicken…and omg…she not only tried it, she LOVED it.
Go figure. And this is how we have been eating tacos since!
INGREDIENTS NEEDED TO MAKE HEALTHY CHICKEN TACOS
- chicken breast – You can use chicken breast or tenderloins! As long as you have 1-3 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken meat, you’re good to go. You can use fresh or frozen chicken for this recipe!
- tomato sauce – To keep as much salt as possible out of this recipe, reach for a can of low sodium tomato sauce at the grocery store. You can also sub salsa like in my Salsa Lime Chicken, but if your kiddo is picky and complains about chunky tomato, try this tomato sauce version!
- salt free taco seasoning – If you want to make your own homemade seasoning, I have the perfect recipe for you!
- Himalayan or kosher salt – If you want these tacos to be totally no-sodium, leave out the salt entirely. However, I like adding a very small sprinkle to help enhance the other flavors.
- chicken broth – You can substitute this ingredient for water, but you’ll be missing out on some flavor.
- lime – This ingredient is optional, but I highly recommend squeezing the juice out of a fresh lime. The natural flavor it adds is just SO mouthwatering!
- taco toppings – I have so many toppings I love, but here are just a few of my favorites: purple cabbage, greek yogurt, cheese, avocado, cilantro, fresh lime, and fresh pico.
INGREDIENTS FOR THE PERFECT CORN TORTILLAS
- cooking oil spray – You can use whatever kind you have handy, but I recommend avocado oil spray.
- corn tortillas – Any brand will do! Just use your favorite, and the result will be perfect.
- Himalayan or kosher salt – The tiniest sprinkle will add so much flavor.
BENEFITS OF USING LESS SODIUM
Instead of reaching for a packet of taco seasoning, we are using my homemade, salt-free taco seasoning for these because it has no additives and way less sodium than anything in a package. I love to meal prep a triple batch of this to always have on hand.
So – why low sodium? While I love a little pinch of salt tossed in the mix, I’m always careful to not overdo it. Plus, like I said before, these low sodium chicken tacos are so flavorful, you don’t need a ton of salt. This is because over time, salt intake can lead to high blood pressure, stroke, and heart disease. That’s some seriously scary stuff!
On a less intimidating note… salt can also make you pretty bloated. You know that feeling when your pants are suddenly too snug and your wedding ring feels tighter than before? That’s usually salt.
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST HEALTHY CHICKEN TACOS
1. First things first – prep your taco seasoning!
2. Add the uncooked chicken to the Instant Pot inner liner, and add water.
3. Mix the seasonings with the tomato sauce, then pour it over the chicken.
4. Set the Instant Pot for 15 minutes on manual, then do a 10 minute natural release before releasing the rest of the pressure.
While your chicken is cooking, prepare your toppings. That way, when the chicken is ready to eat, everything else will be ready to go as well!
The Best Taco Toppings:
The best part of having tacos is all the toppings! Some of our favorite toppings are:
- Guacamole or Avocado
- Cheese – we love sharp cheddar, Monterey jack, and mozzarella
- Homemade Salsa or chopped tomatoes
- Mexican Street Corn Salad
- Lettuce or cabbage or even my no-mayo slaw
- plain Greek Yogurt
- black beans
5. After cooktime, shred the cooked chicken. Taste and adjust seasoning, if desired. If you like lime juice like I do, this is when you squeeze in that delicious fresh juice!
6. My favorite step – EAT IT! Enjoy this incredible healthy chicken recipe in a salad or in a taco with your favorite toppings!
HERE’S HOW TO MAKE THE TASTIEST CORN TORTILLAS
1. Prepare your pan by spraying it with either olive oil or avocado oil spray. Set the heat to medium high.
2. Add in 2-3 corn tortillas and sprinkle them with salt. Cook until the bottom begins to brown, then flip, browning the other side until your tortilla is golden and warm!
CAN I FREEZE THIS TACO MEAT?
Yes! Just like my [One Minute] Instant Pot Freezer Prep Taco Meat, you can make extra of this chicken to freeze! I always make a double batch and use my Souper Cubes to freeze a second portion for another night.
HUNGRY FOR MORE TACOS?
Here are just a few of my favorite recipes that I turn to when I have that taco craving!
- Instant Pot Flank Steak Tacos
- Fish Tacos with Mango Salsa
- Taco Stuffed Acorn Squash
- Taco Zucchini Boats
- Taco Casserole
- Grilled Pork Tacos with Avocado Peach Salsa
- Hidden Cauliflower Taco Meat
- Taquitos and Easy Cheese Sauce
These Instant Pot Chicken Tacos are fresh, delicious, and so quick and easy to make! And thanks to a homemade taco seasoning, they are a low sodium, low calorie, gluten-free way to celebrate taco Tuesday.
- 1–3 pounds of chicken breast or tenderloins (I prefer tenderloins)
- 1 10 oz can of low sodium tomato sauce
- 1–2 T of salt free taco seasoning
- 1/4 tsp of Himalayan or Kosher salt (you might need more if you use more meat, but start with less and add more after tasting)
- 1/4 cup of water or broth
- Optional: squeeze of fresh lime
- Favorite taco toppings: purple cabbage, greek yogurt, cheese, avocado, cilantro, fresh lime, fresh pico
- Cooking Oil Spray
- Corn tortillas
- Himalayan or Kosher salt
For the chicken:
- Mix salt free taco seasoning, if you haven’t prepped it prior.
- Add chicken to the instant pot inner liner and add in water.
- Mix seasonings with the sauce and pour it over chicken.
- Set instant pot for 15 minutes on manual, then do a 10 minute natural release before releasing the rest of the pressure. **If your chicken is a frozen block, set it for 20 minutes instead of 15.
- Using two forks, shred your chicken. Taste and adjust seasoning, if desired. Optional, but recommended, squeeze in some fresh lime.
- Enjoy in a salad or in a taco with your favorite toppings!
For the tortillas:
- Spray olive oil spray into a cast iron or ceramic pan and set to medium high heat.
- Add in 2-3 corn tortillas and sprinkle them with salt. Cook until the bottom begins to brown, then flip, browning the other side until your tortilla is golden, warmed, and pliable.
21 Day Fix Containers: 3/4 cup of Taco Meat + 2 Corn Tortillas is 1 RED, 1 YELLOW, and 1/4 GREEN (Check your labels! Some of the Mission Brand Tortillas are 3 Tacos for 1 Yellow!)
WW: Green – 6 points, Blue – 3 points, Purple, 3 points plus toppings (per serving) [Calculated using 1 lb chicken, 10 oz sauce, 8 tortillas = 4 servings]
Keywords: Instant Pot Chicken Tacos