These Low Carb Taco Zucchini Boats are perfect for the 21 Day Fix, Weight Watchers, or Keto Plans…and a great way to enjoy your bumper crop of zucchini on Taco Tuesday or any night! Also, stuffed zucchini are freezer friendly and perfect for meal prep or lunch! This post contains affiliate links for products I’m obsessed with.
I have a mild obsession with stuffing all the things into zucchini.
And these taco stuffed zucchini boats…I’ve been making them for years and only now getting them on the blog. Why you ask? I don’t know…but it probably has to do with two things: one named Max and one named Mia.
Anyway, if you’ve never stuffed your zucchini with delicious taco meat and cheesy goodness, now is the time friends. It doesn’t matter if you love your carbs or if you follow a low carb diet – these Zucchini Taco Boats are for all.
It’s really simple to make Taco Zucchini Boats
Make your Taco Meat
While the zucchini cooks, it’s time to make your Taco Meat. I may not be the biggest meal prepper, but I love making a ton of taco meat and keeping it in the freezer. If you are like me, then this meal gets even faster. But if you need to make your taco meat, it’s so simple!
- Make some 21 Day Fix Salt Free Taco Seasoning
- Saute some ground meat (beef, chicken, or turkey all work!)
- Add in your taco seasoning, tomato sauce, and water. Saute until sauce thickens!
- Make a double batch and then freeze! Yay!
Can I make my Taco Meat for these Zucchini Taco Boats in the Instant Pot?
Yes! I do love making big or small batches of Taco Meat in my Instant Pot. It’s not necessarily quicker, but it’s a little more hands off and you can fit like five pounds of meat in a 6 quart Instant Pot! Tip: I freeze my taco meat in my Souper Cubes!
Time to make Stuffed Zucchini
When your Zucchini Boats have precooked a little, it’s time to stuff those bad boys with taco deliciousness! For all of my 21 Day Fixers, I like to get a 1/2 cup of meat in my zucchini. Then I use 1/4 cup of Greek Yogurt as a “dip” or topping. For anyone not following the fix, just divide your meat mixture into the zucchini boats as you please! And of course, top with some cheese! I use cheddar, but you can mix it up. If you are dairy free, you can use dairy free cheese or skip the cheese all together for these zucchini boats.
Everything will roast again in the oven until the cheese is bubbly and the zucchini is fork tender. And then comes the fun part…the toppings!!!
My fave toppings for Taco Zucchini Boats:
- cheese, obvi
- avocado or Guacamole
- fresh pico or Homemade Salsa
- Greek yogurt
- Corn and/or Black Beans
Can I sub the ground beef in these Zucchini boats?
Yes, of course. I love using Butcher Box’s grass fed beef for my tacos, but you can sub any kind of ground meat that you would like! You could also use shredded chicken from a store bought or homemade Whole Chicken or even diced chicken breasts. I also think lentils would make a great meatless option or you could use this Walnut and Mushroom Taco meat from The Live in Kitchen! Yum!
Can Zucchini Boats be frozen?
Guys…I would have thought no, but GUESS WHAT??! I tried it and it turns out you CAN freeze zucchini boats! After they cool completely, just wrap them up individually in plastic wrap and then store in a large ziplock or just freeze flat in an airtight container. For best flavor and texture, I would use them within a few weeks. To thaw, just remove and place in your refrigerator or directly into your oven to heat before serving.
Want more Stuffed Zucchini Deliciousness? Check out these yummy recipes:
- Buffalo Chicken Zucchini Boats
- Low Carb Lasagna Stuffed Zucchini Boats
- Zucchini Pizza Boats | Well Plated (21 Day Fixers, just omit pepperoni)
These Low Carb Taco Zucchini Boats are perfect for the 21 Day Fix, Weight Watchers, or Keto Plans…and a great way to enjoy your bumper crop of zucchini on Taco Tuesday or any night! Also, stuffed zucchini are actually freezer friendly and perfect for meal prep or lunch!
For the Taco Meat
- olive oil cooking spray
- 1 1/2 pounds of lean ground turkey, chicken, or beef
- canned low sodium tomato sauce – I use ONE 10oz can per pound of meat
- 1–2 T of the 21 Day Fix Salt Free Taco Seasoning
- 1/4 tsp of Himalayan salt per pound of meat
- 1/4 cup of water or broth per pound of meat
For the Zucchini Boats
- 2 large zucchini
- 2/3 cup of sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Toppings: Fresh pico, avocado, cilantro, greek yogurt
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. Slice each zucchini in half, lengthwise. Using a spoon, scoop out the zucchini flesh to create a boat. Save the flesh and freeze – then sneak them into your kids smoothies!
- Line up your zucchinis onto a baking sheet, or in a casserole dish – I like to line my baking sheet with parchment paper. Sprinkle the zucchini boats with a little salt. Pre-cook zucchini in the oven for 10-15 minutes or until the flesh starts to get tender. If you find that any moisture is collecting at the bottom of the boats, just blot carefully with a paper towel or clean kitchen towel.
- Meanwhile, mix salt free taco seasoning and prepare taco meat.
- Skillet: brown meat over medium heat, then add in seasoning mix, sauce, salt, and water/broth. Stir meat mixture until slightly thickened.
- Instant Pot: Spray Instant Pot with cooking oil spray and set to sauté. When IP is hot, add in meat and brown until cooked almost through. Add in seasoning mix, sauce, salt, and water/broth. Stir meat mixture and cover. Set to manual/pressure cook for 1 minute. Quick release after cook time. Stir and taste, adjusting seasoning as needed.
- Divide taco mixture into zucchini boats, then top each with 2.5 Tbsp of shredded sharp cheddar cheese.
- Bake for an additional 15-20 minutes, or until the filling gets bubbly, the cheese starts to brown and the zucchini is fork tender. I like to broil for the last minute or so to get the cheese topping extra crispy! Garnish with fresh pico, avocado, Greek yogurt, and cilantro.
Makes 4 servings
21 Day Fix: 1 RED, 1/2 BLUE, 1 GREEN plus any additional toppings (per serving)
WW: Green, Blue, Purple plans- 6 points plus toppings (per serving) – (Calculated using reduced fat cheese and extra lean 96% ground beef)
- Serving Size: 1 boat
Keywords: Taco Zucchini Boats, Zucchini Boats, Zucchini Taco Boats, Stuffed Zucchini, Zucchini Boats Ground Beef