Zucchini Fritters are an easy and tasty way to get some extra veggies into your day- either during the summer when you are looking for zucchini recipes to use up your garden crop, or all year long as a yummy side dish, lunch, or even breakfast! This Zucchini Fritters Recipe is low carb, vegetarian, gluten free, and baked in the oven for crispy goodness, without a ton of oil.
I wanted to share this Zucchini Fritters Recipe with you guys like all summer long.
And, well, here we are…into the first few days of Fall and I am just getting around to it.
The good news? While your garden may no longer be bursting with a bumper crop of summer squash, zucchini is a veggie we eat all year long!
And, maybe I am not really late…maybe I am super early for next year!
Ingredients Needed for this Zucchini Fritters Recipe
You only need a few simple ingredients for these yummy veggie fritters!
- Zucchini – well, obviously. I love using my bigger, garden fresh zucchini for this, but any medium to large size zucchini will work. You could use sub summer squash.
- 2 eggs – I haven’t tested this recipe with any sort of egg replacer, so I can’t say for certain how this would work and the eggs are important for binding the patties together
- Parmesan cheese – I love Pecorino Romano in this, too!
- Seasoned Gluten free breadcrumbs – these are gluten free zucchini fritters, but if you aren’t gluten free, you can sub whole wheat breadcrumb.
- Salt – not only will the salt add some flavor here, it’s a crucial ingredient to draw out some of the zucchini’s moisture.
- Optional – fresh herbs – you could use parsley, basil, oregano or whatever herbs you like in this. I also make them without the herbs and just enjoy the mild cheesy flavor of the fritters
- Olive oil cooking spray – I prefer olive oil or avocado oil
How to make Baked Zucchini Fritters
Guys – I tried making these in a pan, but I love them best just baked in the oven! They come out super tasty and it’s much quicker, healthier, and cleaner, too!
First, preheat your oven to 400 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper to keep your fritters from stickingGet those zucchini shredded using your food processor or hand grater, then place it in a colander. Sprinkle with salt. Allow the shredded zucchini to chill for a bit – the salt will help it release some of its liquid. Zucchini is filled with a lot of water, so this step is crucial – don’t skip!
Next, squeeze out as much liquid as you can using a clean kitchen towel or thick paper towels and discard. Whisk up your eggs and fold in your zucchini. Add in your Parmesan cheese and breadcrumb and season with a dash of salt and some fresh herbs, if you want.
Divide up your mixture into 8 sections and form out 8 patties. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment and spray the with olive oil cooking spray. This will make the fritters crisp up while baking in the oven without any need to fry!
Bake in for 8 minutes, then flip and bake for 8 more minutes or until patties are browned and crispy on the outside.
So freaking yummy.
Can I freeze Zucchini Fritters?
Yes! That is, if you have any leftover! I recommend making a double batch and freezing anything you don’t eat.
First, lay cooled fritters on a baking sheet and cover. Place pan in the freezer until frozen. Then, transfer to a freezer bag. Stored properly, they should last a couple months.
To thaw, place in the fridge for a couple hours or overnight, and then they can be warmed in the oven or even try them in the toaster or air fryer!
What should I serve these Gluten free Zucchini Fritters with?
I love these for breakfast, as a side, as a snack – anything goes here! As a side I make them with:
and 21 Day Fix Krispie Baked Chicken because my weirdo kids eat these dipped in ketchup.
How do these Baked Zucchini Fritters Count on the 21 Day Fix? Would they be good for the 2B Mindset? WW?
There is a ton of zucchini packed into one of these fritters, so these mainly count as a green with a little hint of red. There is a tiny amount of blue and yellow in one serving, too…which I don’t count, but I am mindful of it as I eat throughout the day. And if I double a serving (which happens because these little guys are YUMMY!), I definitely count 1/3 of each on my 21 Day Fix Meal Planner.
And YES! These would be awesome for the 2B Mindset as a veggie! Just don’t forget to count your cheese and breadcrumbs as an accessory! As far as WW goes, these fritters are one point each on all the different plans, which makes them really easy to track. Yay!
Want more yummy Zucchini Goodness? Check out this post:
Zucchini Fritters [Gluten-free]
- 3 large zucchini
- 2 eggs
- Parmesan or pecorino Romano cheese
- Seasoned gluten free breadcrumbs
- Optional - fresh herbs - parsley, basil, oregano I often eat them plain, though!
- Olive oil cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 400
- Shred zucchini using your food processor or hand grater. Place shredded zucchini in a colander and sprinkle with salt. Allow it to rest for a few minutes, then squeeze out as much liquid as you can using a clean kitchen towel or thick paper towels. Discard liquid.
- Whisk eggs in a medium sized bowl and fold in shredded zucchini. Add in 4 T of parmesan cheese and 4 T of gluten free breadcrumbs. Season with a shake of salt and fresh herbs, if desired.
- Form 8 patties and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment. Spray with olive oil cooking spray and bake for 8 minutes, then flip and bake for 8 more minutes or until patties are browned and crispy on the outside.