I remember the first time I made lasagna roll ups. This was back when I was dating my now husband. His brother and father were coming over for dinner and I planned to make a real lasagna.
And then, like many of my days before kids, I
procrastinated a little too long was SO busy, I lost track of time.
Does anyone else wonder what the heck you did with your minutes, hours, days before kids?
Anyway, thanks to Rachel Ray, I decided to give lasagna roll ups a try and they were a huge hit! And so easy and quick.
These FIX approved roll ups with spinach and turkey sausage were also a huge hit in my house and the perfect make ahead meal for a winter night.
You could go nuts with sauteed veggies and fill them however you want. I took the easy way out and used frozen spinach and they were YUMMY.
I love that these are perfectly portion controlled so you can indulge while keeping your containers in check. I made 8 roll ups, which was perfect for 4 servings.
If you give this one a try, let me know what you think! Looking for a no-yellow or gluten free lasagna? Try my version with Spaghetti Squash. Another one of my favs!
- 8 whole wheat or gf lasagna noodles
- olive oil spray
- 1 pound ground sweet Italian chicken sausage (don't like? Use lean ground beef or turkey)
- 10 oz frozen chopped spinach, thawed and completely drained
- 8 oz part skim ricotta or cottage cheese (I used cottage cheese and it was GREAT!)
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- salt and fresh pepper
- sprinkle of crushed red pepper (optional)
- homemade or no sugar added tomato sauce
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Cook lasagna noodles al-dente
- While noodles are cooking, spray pan with olive oil spray and cook sausage until browned and no pink remains. Remove from heat, drain, and let cool slightly.
- Preheat oven to 350
- Combine cooked sausage, spinach, ricotta, Parmesan, HALF of the mozzarella, egg, salt, black and red pepper (if using) in a medium bowl.
- Place a piece of wax or parchment paper on the counter and lay out lasagna noodles. If necessary, pat noodles dry with paper toweling.
- Add 1 cup of sauce to the bottom of a 9x12 baking dish
- Take about 1/3 cup of sausage mixture and spread evenly over one noodle. Repeat until all noodles are covered. Roll each noodle carefully and place seam side down into the baking dish.
- Ladle more sauce over top the roll ups in the baking dish. Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese over noodles.
- Cover and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until cheese melts. Uncover for the last few minutes if desired.
2 RED, 3/4 GREEN, 1 BLUE, 1 YELLOW