This Healthy Penne Vodka Sauce with Chicken recipe is one of my FAVORITE 21 Day Fix Meals and my husband couldn’t agree more! This vodka sauce recipe is gluten free and has a dairy free option!
**This post was originally published on August 25, 2015, but I have recently taken new photos and tested a dairy free option, so I am updating it and republishing!
Confession #50 – I made this Healthy Penne Vodka with Chicken dinner last week. Days later, it’s still on my mind.
I shared the recipe with my cousin, and she made it last night.
Enter irrational jealousy.
It was so freaking good, I honestly can’t stop thinking about it.
Even my husband was a huge fan, and sometimes he can be my toughest critic. He definitely lets me know when something tastes “healthy” if it’s not supposed to.
After dinner, I found him in the kitchen cleaning the sauce out of the pan.
With his spoon.
And vodka sauce is one of his favorite meals, so the fact that he said it was “legit” means a lot.
Especially since I used plain Greek yogurt instead of heavy cream. He claims to hate plain Greek yogurt. And I added turkey bacon in place of pancetta or prosciutto. But even with my skinny substitutions, the sauce was creamy, tangy, and oh so savory.
I have recently also tried this with full fat coconut milk, and guys…it’s ridic. So if you are dairy free, you can easily still enjoy this dinner.
Sometimes now I even mix both the Greek yogurt AND the coconut milk together for extra creamy power!!
Come to momma!
How to Make Healthy Penne Vodka with Chicken
First, chop your turkey bacon into bits and sauté until brown. Remove that from your pan.
Next, add olive oil to pan and diced onions. Cook for a few minutes until they begin to soften, then add garlic. Cook for another minute.
Add can of crushed tomatoes to the pan, as well salt, red pepper if using, and the herbs. Stir in bacon and vodka. Simmer for ten minutes on medium low heat.
Add in Greek yogurt or coconut milk and Parmesan cheese. Stir to combine and cook for a few more minutes. The sauce should turn slightly more pinkish.
Plate your penne pasta (or sub zoodles for low carb), add chicken, then top with sauce. Add a bit more Parmesan on top!
If you make this Healthy Penne Vodka pasta, let me know!
I promise to keep my emotions in check.
Want more Healthy Pasta Recipes? Check these out!
This Healthy Penne Vodka Sauce with Chicken recipe is one of my FAVORITE 21 Day Fix Meals and my husband couldn’t agree more!
- 4 slices turkey bacon (nitrate-free)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 medium red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 28 oz crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup plus 1 T of vodka (be sure it’s gluten free if you need)
- 4 T 2% plain Greek yogurt or sub 1/3 cup full fat coconut milk
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese and more for topping (for dairy free, sub Violife or another dairy free parm)
- 1 T chopped fresh basil
- 2 tsp dried oregano flakes
- sprinkle of salt
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes, or more to taste (this is optional…feel free to leave out or add at the end to taste)
- 1 lb boneless chicken breasts, baked or grilled and cut into bite sized pieces
- gluten free Penne Pasta or Zoodles
- Chop turkey bacon into bits and sautee until brown. Remove from pan.
- Add olive oil to pan and diced onions. Cook for a few minutes until they begin to soften, then add garlic. Cook for another minute.
- Add can of crushed tomatoes to the pan, as well salt, red pepper if using, and the herbs. Stir in bacon and vodka. Simmer for ten minutes on medium low heat.
- Add in Greek yogurt or coconut milk and Parmesan cheese. Stir to combine and cook for a few more minutes. The sauce should turn slightly more pinkish.
- Plate your penne pasta – 1/2 cup per serving (or sub zoodles for low carb), add 3/4 cup of chicken, then top with 1/4 of the sauce (about 2/3 cup). Add a bit more Parmesan on top!
Makes 4 servings
21 Day Fix: 1 GREEN, 1/4 BLUE, 1 RED (chicken), 1 YELLOW (pasta), (per serving) [if you use coconut milk, it increases to 2/3 BLUE]
WW: Green – 7 points, Blue – 6 points, Purple – 4 points (per serving) [Calculated using Greek yogurt and 1/2 cup whole wheat penne pasta]
Keywords: pasta, dinner, chicken, gluten-free, italian, lunch, low-fat, turkey, poultry