This 21 Day Fix Lazy Zucchini Enchilada Skillet is an easy, low carb and no yellow way to get all the flavors of enchiladas, but with the veggie goodness of zucchini instead of tortillas!
For the Enchilada Sauce
- 1 small can of tomato sauce (8oz)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons chili powder, or more to taste
For the skillet
- 2 tsp olive oil, plus olive oil cooking spray
- 1 lb lean ground turkey, chicken, or beef
- 1/4 diced red onion
- 3 cups of zucchini sliced into thin half moons
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 cup enchilada sauce (see recipe above)
- 1 cup of cottage cheese (I use the 2% one)
- 3 T of plain Greek yogurt
- 1 1/3 cup of shredded sharp cheddar
- garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- Mix tomato sauce with spices to make the enchilada sauce. Set aside.
- In a broil safe skillet, spray with olive oil cooking spray, then add in 2 tsp olive oil. Brown ground meat on medium heat until cooked through. Add in garlic, sprinkle of salt, garlic powder, pepper, and three tablespoons of the enchilada sauce. Saute for an additional minute.
- Stir in onions and zucchini and cook over medium low heat until veggies are tender, but still fork crisp. If you like them softer, cook for a few more minutes until desired tenderness.
- Mix cottage cheese and Greek yogurt together with 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Add enchilada sauce. Pour sauce mixture into the skillet over veggies and meat. Cook for 3-4 minutes on medium-low heat, gently spreading the sauce mixture evenly in the pan.
- Top with shredded sharp cheddar cheese and place in broiler on high until cheese begins to melt and turn golden brown.
- Garnish with cilantro and use a slotted spoon to stir to help drain any excess liquid from the zucchini.
21 Day Fix: 1 1/4 RED, 1 BLUE, 1 GREEN, 1/2 TSP per serving
WW Freestyle: 7 points per serving (calculated using low fat cheese and cottage cheese, 93% ground turkey or 93% chicken) or 9 points per serving (calculated using low fat cheese and cottage cheese, 93% ground beef)
- Serving Size: 1/4 of skillet
Keywords: enchiladas, skillet meal, gluten-free, high protein, low-carb, mexican