Baked Shrimp Scampi with Spaghetti Squash is a delicious, healthier version of scampi. Make this squash noodles recipe for an easy pasta replacement for the 21 Day Fix, 2B Mindset, and WW! This post contains affiliate links for products I’m obsessed with.
Healthy Alternative for Pasta
Some people believe that eating healthy is difficult, especially when they give up pasta or other foods like bread. But not only is this type of veggie noodle delicious, it’s also high in fiber to keep you fuller longer. Because spaghetti squash is high in fiber, it’s much lower in carbs than traditional spaghetti noodles.
The truth is, there are plenty of ways to create healthy pasta dinners that taste as good as, or better than the originals. Spaghetti Squash Shrimp Scampi is a perfect example.
INGREDIENT NOTES + SUBSTITUTIONS
- Spaghetti squash – You’ll need a medium size squash for this recipe, and it should feel heavy for its size.
- Medium shrimp – To keep things simple, buy shrimp that are already shelled and deveined. Look for wild caught shrimp over farmed, if possible.
- Butter flavored olive oil or butter – Since butter is now on the 21 Day Fix Food list, you can use it in this recipe! You could also sub regular olive oil or use half butter/half oil.
- Garlic and shallots – If you need a substitute, you can use yellow onion or the white part of a scallion.
- Italian parsley – This is also known as flat-leaf parsley.
- Low-sodium chicken broth – You can substitute with vegetable broth or stock
- Lemon balsamic vinegar – If you can’t find it, sub with extra lemon juice or white balsamic vinegar.
- Breadcrumbs – I make these by pulsing 1/2 slice of gluten free or whole wheat bread in a blender. To reduce the carbs in this dish even further, you can omit the breadcrumbs.
- Grated Parmesan cheese – Avoid the canister of Parm and instead, buy a block of it and grate it yourself. The flavor is so much better.
How to make Baked Shrimp Scampi with Spaghetti Squash
After marinating the shrimp and cooking the squash, you’ll combine them with seasonings and place everything into a casserole dish. Then, bake in the oven until the shrimp are tender. That’s it – SO easy!
Step by step, here’s what to do:
- Cook the spaghetti squash.
NOTE: Cut the squash in half the short way, not from end to end. This method creates long strands that resemble spaghetti.
- Marinate the shrimp.
Simply combine the marinade ingredients in a small, non-reactive bowl, then add the shrimp.
NOTE: Aluminum, cast iron, and copper are metals that react when put in contact with an acidic ingredient like lemon juice. Stainless steel, ceramic, glass, and metal cookware with enamel coating are non-reactive.
- Combine shrimp and spaghetti squash noodles.
Spread the noodles evenly into a greased casserole dish, then place the shrimp in an even layer over the squash noodles. Add a bit of Parmesan cheese and put the shrimp with spaghetti squash into the oven to bake.
- Make the breadcrumb topping.
While the casserole bakes, toast the breadcrumbs in a skillet with some olive oil spray.
- Add topping to the casserole, then finish baking.
After 20 minutes of cook time, sprinkle the breadcrumbs and the other half of the Parmesan over the casserole, and bake for another 5 minutes or so.
Baked Shrimp Scampi Spaghetti Squash for Healthy Meal Prep
One of the other reasons I love this recipe is it’s awesome for meal prep! You can cook your squash and marinate the shrimp in advance, then put it all together and wait to bake it until you are ready to eat. Or you can bake it and portion it out to eat for dinners and lunches all week long!
This recipe is low carb, keto friendly without the breadcrumbs, gluten-free, dairy-free friendly, and a healthy choice for the 21 Day Fix, 2B Mindset, and WW.
Looking for More Healthy Spaghetti Noodle Recipes? Check these out:
21 Day Fix Spaghetti Squash Fra Diavolo | The Foodie and The Fix
Baked Shrimp Scampi with Spaghetti Squash is a delicious, healthier version of scampi. Make this squash noodles recipe for an easy pasta replacement for the 21 Day Fix, 2B Mindset, and WW!
- 1 medium spaghetti squash, cooked and shredded
- 1 1/4 lbs of shrimp
- 1 T plus 1 tsp of butter flavored olive oil, butter, vegan butter, or olive oil
- juice of 1 lemon
- zest of 1 lemon
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ shallot, diced
- 2 T fresh Italian parsley, diced
- 1 tsp sea or Himalayan salt
- ½ tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 2/3 cup organic low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Balsamic Vinegar (optional – you can sub with extra lemon juice or regular balsamic)
- 1/2 slice of gluten free or whole wheat bread, pulsed in blender to make bread crumbs (optional)
- 2/3 cup of good Parmesan cheese, divided
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon zest and juice, garlic, shallots, 1 T parsley, salt, pepper, chicken broth and vinegar. Add shrimp and let sit for 20 min.
- Spray a casserole dish with cooking spray and cover the bottom with the cooked spaghetti squash.
- Pour the shrimp mixture over the top of the squash. Sprinkle with 1/3 of the Parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 400 deg. for 20 min or until the shrimp start to turn pink.
- If using the breadcrumbs, spray a small pan with olive oil spray and toast the breadcrumbs on medium heat for a few minutes until browned.
- Sprinkle casserole pan with breadcrumbs and the remaining cheese and bake for another 5-10 min.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle the remaining parsley over the top.
Serves 4 –
21 Day Fix: 1 RED, 1 GREEN, 1/2 BLUE, 1 tsp, trace YELLOW (per serving)
WW: Green- 5 points; Blue – 4 points; Purple- 4 points (per serving)
- Serving Size: 1/4 of pan
Keywords: dinner, seafood, shrimp, pasta, spaghetti squash, gluten-free, grain-free, low-carb, high protein