Air Fryer Potato Chips are a quick and easy snack that you’ll fall in love with. Crispy homemade potato chips have the perfect crunch without all the saturated fat, oil, and calories. Enjoy a handful or two with your favorite sandwich, wrap, or light lunch! Ready in about a half hour, you’ll be snacking on some tasty Air Fryer chips in no time. This post contains affiliate links for products I’m obsessed with.
Are you as excited as I am to make some Air Fryer Potato Chips? I have been making these nonstop since my neighbor introduced me to them earlier this summer. He is always making delicious things on the grill, smoker, and his air fryer, and I immediately asked him for the recipe after tasting his crispy air fryer potato chips! Thank you, Keith!
Why we love this recipe
- Much less oil is used for these healthier chips
- No need for a deep fryer and all the calories associated with it
- Perfect quick, crispy snack or side in about a half hour
- Kid and adult approved
- Air Fryer recipes are total time savers and clean up is usually easier too!
- So delicious with my quick and easy French onion dip with Greek yogurt.
Crispy Potato Chips Ingredients
- Large potatoes- Yellow potatoes, Yukon gold potatoes, or russet potatoes are all great options. Potatoes need to be sliced very thin using a mandolin slicer or a very sharp knife. These are the best potatoes to use for this Air Fryer Potato Chips recipe.
- Avocado oil- You can also use olive oil or any variety of cooking oil spray
- Salt- For some great flavor! If you need lower sodium use 1/4 tsp and, if not, use 1/2 tsp.
Crispy Chips Instructions
- Wash potatoes and peel them if desired. Using a sharp knife or mandolin, slice potatoes into very thin, uniform chips.
- Soak sliced potatoes in a large bowl of cold water for 15 minutes before Air Frying. After soaking, drain potatoes and dry the slices well on paper towels. (If you don’t have time, skip this step! I skip it all the time and they’re still delish)
- Preheat your Air Fryer to 380 degrees F.
- Toss your sliced potatoes with oil and salt.
- Working in batches, add potatoes to your Air Fryer in no more than two layers, and cook for 16-20 minutes, shaking and turning every 5 minutes.
- Serve with my homemade French onion dip, if desired.
Why soak your potatoes in cold water?
Like my Homemade French Fries, if I have extra time, I soak my potatoes before making these chips to remove some excess starch from the potatoes. BUT, this is one of those steps that you can skip if you need to save time. In fact, my neighbor never soaks his and they still come out great.
How to tell when your air fryer potatoes are done?
Normally, in most recipes you air fry until something turns a beautiful golden brown. However, with these chips, you don’t want them to get too brown or they’ll just taste burned. So, instead, you will know your chips are done when they start to turn just a slight brown in color. Once they start to turn in color, remove the homemade crispy chips from the Air Fryer and let them cool before enjoying. Keep this in mind as you are cooking them, and adjust the cooking time as needed.
- For best results, I prefer a mandoline slicer to cut up my potato slices so they stay uniform in size and thickness, but a good, sharp knife will also work perfectly.
- Always try to place your chips in a single layer in the Air Fryer basket so they cook evenly and it can circulate the hot air around. If you have to do a double layer you can, you just have to be more diligent about making sure they all get cooked evenly by shaking the basket and hand flipping chips if necessary.
- You can make different flavors by adding different seasoning flavor variations. Try garlic salt, onion powder, ranch seasoning, some BBQ spices, or any of your favorite seasoning blends, etc. My neighbor, Keith, uses Old Bay Seasoning like in my Healthy Copycat Philly Crab Fries with Cheese Sauce. Be careful how much you add though, a little goes a long way.
- This recipe is easy to double to feed more. Working in batches, or getting multiple Air Fryers going if you have them, is the best way to get a large number of chips made.
- Be careful handling the potato chips after removing them from the Air Fryer. Be sure to let them cool for a few minutes before devouring them!
- These chips go amazingly well with homemade healthier French Onion Dip with Greek Yogurt. It’s such a simple recipe to whip up to go along with these delicious, crispy, crunchy potato chips.
How to Store Leftover Homemade Air Fryer Potato Chips
Any leftover homemade chips can be stored in an airtight container or ziptop bag and stored at room temperature on the counter for a few days. We rarely have leftovers because these have become our favorite chips and when I whip them up, they’re always devoured in the blink of an eye.
What to Serve with Air Fryer Potato Chips
These chips are great as an easy snack. If you’re looking to use them as a light side dish, you can do that too. Try pairing these homemade crispy chips with a BBQ Chicken Burger, New York Strip Steak, Chicken Tenders, or some Jumbo Lump Crab Cakes.
If you are having them as a snack, don’t forget to make some of that French onion dip for the perfect combo! Skip the super unhealthy jarred stuff and take a few extra minutes to make this fantastic chip dip recipe. You’ll love it!
Air Fryer Potato Chips are a quick and easy snack that you’ll fall in love with. Crispy homemade potato chips have the perfect crunch without all the saturated fat, oil, and calories.
2 large potatoes- yellow, yukon gold, or russet, sliced very thin using a mandoline or very sharp knife. I prefer a mandoline so slices stay uniform in size and thickness.
2 teaspoons avocado or olive oil (can sub olive or avocado oil cooking spray)
¼ tsp– ½ tsp salt
- Wash potatoes and either peel them or keep the peel on. Using a sharp knife or mandoline, slice potatoes into very thin, uniform chips.
- Optional – if you have time – soak sliced tomatoes in cold water for 15 minutes before Air Frying. After soaking, drain and dry slices well. If you don’t have time, skip this step! I skip it all the time!
- Preheat your Air Fryer to 380 degrees.
- Toss your sliced potatoes with oil and salt.
- Working in batches, add potatoes in no more than two layers to your Air Fryer and cook for 16-20 minutes, shaking and turning every 5 minutes.
- Once the chips begin to turn golden, remove them from the air fryer and let them cool a bit before serving – they will crisp up even more as they cool!
Makes 4 servings, about 1/2 cup each
21 Day Fix: 1 YELLOW (per serving)
WW link for personal points: Air Fryer Potato Chips
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup of chips
Keywords: air fryer potato chips, homemade potato chips, crispy homemade potato chips