This insanely easy French Onion Dip with Greek Yogurt is so delish! It’s ready in less than 5 minutes and is the perfect healthy dip for all your snacks on game day. This simple recipe only uses 5 ingredients and is the perfect dip to go along with my Air Fryer Potato Chips! This recipe contains affiliate links for products I’m obsessed with.
Chips and French onion dip are a major weakness of mine and always have been. Growing up, we always had the old school dried onion soup mix in my pantry for whenever the cravings would strike or whenever we needed a quick dip for a party. And there were many nights in college that my friend Jenny and I would watch Beverly Hills, 90210 with a bag of Cape Cod Chips and container of French onion dip sitting between us. The freaking good old days, right?
I recently made my homemade Air Fryer Potato Chips and immediately needed something delish to dip it in. It’s been decades since I bought that soup mix, but with some simple dried spices from my pantry and Greek yogurt, I had a perfect healthy and tasty stand-in to crush my cravings!
Why I love this recipe:
- Super simple to make a small batch or make a double batch for a party
- Healthier than the dip in a jar
- Goes perfect with homemade potato chips
- Takes less than 5 minutes to make this party favorite
- Only uses simple ingredients that you probably already have on hand (especially if you make my Copycat Rice a Roni!)
- Plain Greek yogurt- The base of your chip dip instead of the classic sour cream or cream cheese base used in traditional French onion chip dip. You can use regular plain Greek yogurt or plain non-fat Greek yogurt.
- Mayo- You could also sub olive oil instead
- Minced dried onions- You can use onion powder if in a pinch, but the minced dried onions really bring the flavor and texture you’re looking for
- Garlic powder- Crushed or minced garlic can also be used
- Worcestershire sauce- Optional ingredient but adds a nice flavor if used
- Optional garnish of green onions or chives – For added color and some extra flavor
Healthy French Onion Dip Recipe Instructions
It’s crazy how simple it is to make this creamy Greek yogurt dip.
All you have to do is combine all of the dip ingredients in a small mixing bowl and mix it all together.
Once it’s all mixed, store it in the serving bowl in the refrigerator until you’re ready to serve it with your chips or other dippers.
What can you dip into this homemade French onion dip?
You can dip practically anything into this dip. Here are some healthier options to enjoy with this healthy dip:
- homemade potato chips or Homemade French Fries
- sweet potato chips
- other chips or crackers
- bell peppers
- carrots and celery
- broccoli and cauliflower
- cherry or grape tomatoes
Why does French Onion Dip get watery?
If you leave your dip out for a bit as you’re dipping different things into it, the yogurt or other dairy base in the dip can start to separate and cause the dip to get a little watery. Simply stir the dip back up and chill it in the fridge if needed to get it back to your desired consistency.
How do I thin out my homemade french onion dip recipe?
If your dip is a little too thick for your preference, you can change the consistency. Start by adding a splash of water and giving your homemade flavorful chip dip a good stir before checking the consistency again. If it’s still too thick, add some more water, just a little water at a time, stir, and check it again. Continue this process until it’s the consistency that you prefer.
How do I thicken up my dip?
If you thinned out your dip too much, or maybe it just seems too runny for you, we have a suggestion to get it back to that nice thick, dippable consistency.
You can first start by adding some more Greek yogurt to the dip, and give it a good stir to see if that helps get it where you want it to be. If that’s not enough, you can add a little cornstarch to try to thicken it up.
- Top your dip with some fresh chives for a nice touch of color and flavor.
- Always give your dip a good stir in between uses and after storing in the refrigerator.
- Like a little heat? Add a dash or two of red pepper flakes.
- This is a great recipe to double, or even triple, and make a few batches to serve at a party or get together.
- Looking for another tasty, healthy party dip? Try this Healthy Buffalo Chicken Dip. Or, this Queso Dip!
How to Store
Once you’ve made your healthier chip dip, you should store it in an airtight container or jar in the refrigerator.
When you want to serve it, pull it out, give it a good stir again and serve. You can store this chip dip in the refrigerator up to 4-5 days.Print
This insanely easy French Onion Dip with Greek Yogurt is so delish! It’s ready in less than 5 minutes and is the perfect healthy dip for all your snacks on game day. This simple recipe only uses 5 ingredients and is the perfect dip to go along with my Air Fryer Potato Chips!
- 1 cup of plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tsp mayo or olive oil
- 2–3 Tablespoons of minced dried onions
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼–½ tsp salt
- optional – ¼ tsp Worcestershire sauce
- To make the dip, mix all ingredients, then taste and adjust seasonings as desired.
- Store in the fridge until you are ready to enjoy!
Recipe makes about 8 servings, 2 Tbsp each
21 Day Fix: 1/4 RED (per 2 Tbsp serving)
WW link for personal points: French Onion Dip with Greek Yogurt
Keywords: Greek yogurt French onion dip