This amazing Instant Pot Copycat Rice a Roni is the perfect healthier, gluten free alternative to my favorite childhood side dish! It pairs with any meal and is quick and easy to whip up. Plus with the use of the Instant Pot, you can set it and forget it while working on the rest of dinner! This post contains affiliate links for products I’m obsessed with.
Instant Pot Rice A Roni
Raise your hand if Rice a Roni night was your favorite night growing up? Yep – samesies. I’m pretty sure my grandmother made this tasty side every week along with my other fave – Chicken Cutlets. My childhood on a plate.
And as much I would love to break open a package for old times sake, the boxed version is full of sodium and not so good for you ingredients…and not to mention, gluten. But worry not! Today I’ve got the perfect homemade copycat version that has the same great taste you know and love, but with healthier ingredients! It’s also made in the Instant Pot (which has also become a household staple) so it’s made in a cinch with no standing around waiting for water to boil.
This side goes great with my:
or truly any protein!
Ingredients for Homemade Rice A Roni
This recipe is not only easy to make, but it uses pantry staples you likely already have on hand. You need:
- butter – or make it vegan with vegan butter!
- gluten free spaghetti – we are going to break it up into tiny pieces. If you aren’t gluten free, you can try whole wheat and it should sub ok.
- brown rice – The traditional recipe uses long grain white rice, but brown rice has more fiber!
- low sodium chicken broth – Chicken stock can be substituted as well, or if you want to keep this vegetarian, use veggie broth.
- minced dried onion – you can sub onion powder if that is all you have, but it’s worth picking up some of the dried onion for spot on flavor.
- garlic powder – This gives the Rice a Roni that classic taste.
- turmeric – to give this side it’s signature color
- salt – as always, start with less then taste and add more if you need it.
- dried parsley – the final step to the perfect flavor
How to Make Instant Pot Copycat Rice A Roni
With just a few simple steps, you can have the classic dish of your childhood.
- Set your Instant Pot to sauté and melt 2 teaspoons of butter once the IP reads hot. Add the ¼ cup of spaghetti pieces and sauté for 1-2 minutes.
- Next up, add in brown rice and toast for an additional minute, then add in the broth, garlic powder, turmeric, dried onion, and parsley. Cook for 22 minutes on manual high pressure and then let your pot naturally release for 10 minutes before releasing the rest of the pressure manually.
- Fluff the rice a roni with a fork and stir in the remaining 2 tsp of butter. Taste and adjust your seasonings as necessary, and enjoy!
How Long Will the Rice A Roni Stay Fresh?
You can store this rice pilaf in an airtight container in the fridge for up to four days to retain the best flavor. Simply reheat in the microwave until warmed through. It’s also freezer friendly!
Can this be made vegan or vegetarian?
It sure can! Just substitute the chicken broth or stock for vegetable broth or stock. The traditional Rice A Roni recipe does have that chicken flavor to it so it will taste slightly different than the original. Make sure to use vegan butter as well!
Can I Use White Rice for This Recipe?
Sure! If you are following the 21 Day Fix, white rice isn’t on the yellow food list, so stick with brown. But if you want to swap it with white rice, cook it for 8 minutes with a 10 minute natural release.
Ready for More Brown Rice Recipes? Check Out These!Print
This amazing Instant Pot Copycat Rice a Roni is the perfect healthier, gluten free alternative to the classic “San Francisco Treat”! A delicious side dish that pairs with any meal and is quick and easy to whip up. Plus with the use of the Instant Pot you can set it and forget it while working on the rest of lunch or dinner!
4 tsp butter or vegan butter, divided
¼ cup gluten free spaghetti – broken up into small pieces
1 cup brown rice
1 ¼ cup of low sodium chicken broth or stock
½ tsp minced dried onion
½ tsp garlic powder
¼ tsp turmeric
¼-½ tsp salt
½ tsp dried parsley
- Set Instant Pot to saute and melt 2 teaspoons of butter once the IP reads hot. Add the ¼ cup of spaghetti pieces and saute for 1-2 minutes.
- Add in brown rice and toast for an additional minute, then add in broth and seasonings. Cook for 22 minutes on manual high pressure and then let your pot naturally release for 10 minutes before releasing the rest of the pressure manually.
- Fluff rice with a fork and stir in remaining 2 tsp of butter. Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary. Enjoy!
21 Day Fix: 1 YELLOW, 1 TSP (per serving)
WW link for personal points: Copycat Rice A Roni
Keywords: Copycat Rice a Roni, Homemade Rice a Roni, Instant Pot Rice a Roni, Gluten Free Rice a Roni