Air Fryer Chicken Cutlets are an easy, healthier alternative to my grandma’s signature weeknight dinner. No oily mess, but you still get juicy chicken breasts with a crispy crunch! Meal prep these gluten-free chicken cutlets for pasta, sandwiches, atop salads, and so much more!
Golden brown, crispy chicken cutlets without deep frying? Thanks to the air fryer, it’s totally possible!
I grew up eating chicken cutlets weekly, like many other Long Island Italian families; in fact, it was always my favorite night of the week. It’s such a simple meal and they are kid friendly (my whole family loves these), easy to make, and great leftover. I have even eaten them cold right from the fridge!
I recently tried making cutlets both gluten free and in the air fryer and now I am totally hooked! You get the same crunchy texture with less prep time, less cooking time, and way less oil.
Check out this post for more Healthy Air Fryer Recipes!
Key Ingredients and Substitutions
- skinless chicken breasts – About one pound, thinly sliced. If you can’t get thinly sliced chicken at your store, place your chicken breasts between two pieces of plastic wrap and pound with a meat mallet
- egg whites – You can also use a whole egg.
- gluten-free breadcrumbs or gluten-free panko bread crumbs – You can use seasoned or unseasoned and season them yourself with salt, garlic powder, and onion powder. You can also add in Italian seasoning or some fresh oregano. If you aren’t gluten free, you can use whole wheat or regular breadcrumbs.
- avocado oil spray or olive oil spray – If you don’t have cooking spray, you can use a little bit of oil in its place but for best results, use the spray.
How to Air Fry Chicken Cutlets
Be sure to check out the recipe card for full information including nutrition and 21 Day Fix Container Counts.
Step One: Create a breading station by pouring your egg whites into a small bowl and the breadcrumbs on a shallow dish. Place a parchment lined baking sheet nearby for the finished breaded chicken. This little assembly line system will keep your kitchen clean during the breading process.
Step two: Dip each piece of chicken into the egg white, and then into the breadcrumbs to coat thoroughly, then place on the prepared sheet pan or plate. Try to handle the breaded chicken as little as possible to let the breading stick.
Step Three: Spray the bottom of your air fryer basket with olive oil spray and add half of the chicken breast cutlets in a single layer (the amount of chicken cutlets depends on the size of your air fryer). I do 3 at a time in mine.
TIP: It’s important not to overcrowd your basket or the chicken won’t crisp up enough!
Spray the tops of the chicken pieces with olive oil spray as well.
Step Four: Air fry the breaded chicken cutlets at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 7-8 minutes, then flip the chicken over and spray the second side with more olive oil spray before cooking for the remaining 7-8 minutes.
Remove the cooked chicken and set aside on your plate or baking sheet. Repeat the process for the remaining pieces until all of your chicken is cooked. Serve over pasta, atop a fresh salad, as a sandwich, or with your favorite sides. Enjoy!
What Air Fryer do you recommend?
I love my Instant Pot Vortex Air Fryer, but you can find more Air Fryer Recommendations over at my shop page!
What exactly is a chicken cutlet?
Chicken cutlets are very thin pieces of chicken breast. You can pick them up at your local grocery store or slice your own at home. Take a regular chicken breast and slice into equally sized pieces. Wrap them between two pieces of plastic wrap. Then take a meat tenderizer and pound them into about a quarter inch thickness. Try to get them to an even thickness to ensure even cooking. This method is great for any time you need thinner slices of meat.
You can also make this recipe with chicken tenderloins.
How do I know when my raw chicken is fully cooked?
These cutlets cook up fast, but it’s best to invest in a digital meat thermometer and be sure your chicken reaches 165 degrees before cook time is over.
How do I store leftovers?
You can store leftover chicken in an airtight container or tightly wrap in aluminum foil and place in your fridge for up to 5 days. This recipe is great for meal prepping as I love them warm or cold. They also freeze perfectly!
How to reheat air fryer chicken cutlets without drying them out?
Like I said, I have eaten these cold, but to heat them up, just follow these steps:
- Remove chicken from the fridge and let it come to room temp for about a half hour.
- Heat on 350 in the air fryer for 4-6 minutes or until fully heated.
What’s a good side for cutlets?
Growing up, we always had Rice-a-Roni on cutlet night, but there are so many different ways to enjoy them:
- served over noodles with my Healthy Alfredo Sauce
- in a wrap or on a yummy pizza like this Buffalo Chicken Pizza
- with an easy side like this Sautéed Zucchini
- on a salad – I enjoy eating mine on arugula with a squeeze of lemon juice and shaved Parmesan cheese!
More Easy Air Fryer Chicken Recipes
Air Fryer Chicken Tenders with Everything Bagel Seasoning + Maple Mustard Sauce
BBQ Chicken Burgers [Air Fryer + Grill]
Krispie Airfryer Buffalo Chicken Nuggets
Healthy Instant Pot Airfryer Chicken Taquitos
Air Fryer Stuffed Chicken Breast | Recipes from a Pantry
Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan | The Foodie and the Fix
Air Fryer Chicken Cutlets [Gluten-Free]
- 1 pound thinly sliced chicken breasts
- 2 extra large egg whites or sub whole egg
- 1 cup gluten free breadcrumbs you can use seasoned or unseasoned and season yourself with salt, garlic powder, and onion powder.
- Olive or avocado oil spray
- Create a breading station by pouring your egg whites into one shallow bowl, and the breadcrumbs on a plate. Place another plate or baking sheet nearby for the breaded chicken. I like to line it with parchment paper to cut down on the mess.
- Dip each piece of chicken into the egg white on both sides. Then dip cutlets into the breadcrumb mixture and coat well.
- Spray the bottom of your air fryer lightly with cooking spray, then add half of the chicken pieces. The amount will depend on how big your air fryer is. I do 3 at a time in mine. Tip – be careful not to overcrowd your chicken otherwise your chicken won’t get crispy!
- Spray the tops of the chicken with olive oil spray, then air fry at 400 for 7 minutes.
- Open air fryer and flip your chicken. Spray the second side with more cooking oil spray, then cook for an additional 7-8 minutes or until crispy and cooked through.
- Remove the cooked chicken and set aside on your prepared plate or baking sheet, and repeat the process for the remaining cutlets.
Yes! I’m cheering you on inyour corner! I love this recipe ! I made it tonight for dinner. It is so much healthier then a shake and bake! I used plain panko bread crumbs 1 egg and 1 egg white I seasoned my breadcrumbs with what you suggested and also some dried parsley, a little cayenne pepper, and also paprika!
it was a hit! we loved it so much. I plan to can and meal prep for the whole year with all your recipes 😋 you ate truly the best
AHH this is so kind! Thank you for making my day!
What do you suggest using in place of egg? We’re an egg free house.
You could try an egg free mayo as a replacement – let us know how it goes if you try it!