This Instant Pot Stuffing with Brown Rice and Sausage is the perfect easy and delicious Thanksgiving side! This Gluten free stuffing is also dairy-free, 21 Day Fix approved, and includes weight watcher points. Perfect to eat as a filling and healthy dinner during cooler weather too!
Confession #128 – I’m almost afraid to admit this, but traditional Thanksgiving stuffing has never been a favorite of mine. I’m not even sure why…I mean, it’s made of bread. I freaking love bread.
I hope all of you stuffing lovers can overlook this. I know I’m in the wrong here…but after almost forty years of trying to love it, I don’t think it’s happening.
But rice stuffing? Oh baby…this, THIS, I could get behind.
In fact, I had all intentions of this being a side dish recipe…and potentially a Thanksgiving side dish…but the truth? I could eat this for dinner every day. In fact I practically have. I’ve made it weekly since I first tried it in the Instant Pot
So while I still think this would make an fantastic Thanksgiving side – especially since you don’t have to use any stovetop or oven space – and because you can easily transport it in your Instant Pot and keep it warm – I’m certainly not suggesting you wait until then to make it.
Nope. I’m saying make it asap. For lunch. Or dinner. Like your own little holiday without all the stress.
This recipe is inspired by one from the blog Julia’s Healthy Italian (which was also the inspiration for this Skinnytaste recipe) and I love that it’s both gluten and dairy free. It’s awesome to have such a yummy side option that is allergy friendly, but tastes damn good to everyone regardless. It makes me sad when my son has to have separate food for holiday dinners and family gatherings, so recipes like this Instant Pot Brown Rice and Sausage Stuffing are just perfect.
Brown Rice in the Instant Pot
Oh – and the fact that it can be made in the Instant Pot makes is even more awesome. Brown rice is actually one of my FAVORITE things to make in the instant pot – comes out perfect every time! Sometimes I make and freeze a bunch like in this Freezer Friendly Instant Pot Brown Rice but it also works in recipes like Instant Pot Jambalaya, too.
Instant Pot for Holiday Food Prep
I don’t have a fancy kitchen and space in my oven is at a premium on a holiday, so I love that this recipe can be made fully in my IP! I actually can’t wait to use my IP for all sorts of holiday deliciousness this year!
The mix of veggies, Italian chicken sausage, and brown rice is total perfection. So damn easy and so damn good. My beloved Thanksgiving Mashed Potatoes and Sweet Potato Casserole have some fierce competition this year.
Still need an Instant Pot? This is the one I have and LOVE.
Can’t find Turkey or Chicken Sausage at your grocery store? Make your own using this How to Make Homemade Italian Sausage with Ground Chicken or Turkey recipe!
Looking for more Gluten Free Holiday recipes? Check out these posts:
Enjoy this Gluten Free Stuffing recipe!
Instant Pot Brown Rice and Sausage Stuffing (21 Day Fix)
- 2 cups brown rice
- 2 cups organic chicken stock or broth
- 1 lb raw sweet Italian chicken or turkey sausage casing removed
- 4 teaspoon olive oil divided
- 6 stalks celery chopped
- 1 large onion chopped
- 8 oz sliced fresh mushrooms I used baby bellas
- Salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- Set Instant Pot to saute and add 2 tsp of olive olive to the bottom of the inner liner. Add chicken sausage to pan to brown. Once cooked through, remove from pan and set aside.
- Add remaining 2 tsp of olive oil to pot and add onions and celery. Season with some salt and pepper and saute for 2-3 minutes or until onions start to turn translucent. Add in mushrooms and season again. Saute for an additional 2-4 minutes or until the mushrooms begin to brown.
- Add sausage back to the pot and stir in the rice and broth. Cover pot and set to 22 minutes on manual, high pressure. When cook time is up, do a ten minute natural release before switching over to quick release.
- Adjust seasonings to taste and enjoy!