This 21 Day Fix Instant Pot Maple BBQ Chicken is gluten-free, dairy-free, and so amazingly easy to make in your Instant Pot! It was a hit with my husband and the kids. Enjoy BBQ all year long with your Instant Pot. (Still need an Instant Pot? This post contains affiliate links for the one I have!)
Confession #123 – I feel guilty that I am posting yet another Instant Pot recipe because I know there are a bunch of you who are still not feeling it yet…so I will add some crock pot directions, but only because I heart you.
My crock pot, on the other hand, hasn’t gotten much love from me these days.
I mean…the Instant Pot cooked these unbelievably delicious Maple BBQ Chicken Thighs to perfection with ten minutes of cook time. Ten minutes! They were so good, my three year old was clapping between bites.
It may have been the cutest thing I’ve ever seen.
And besides being incredibly tender, these chicken thighs are so darn tasty! Just the right amount of tang and maple sweetness from the homemade BBQ sauce- the same one from my Pulled Pork. The awesome part is that instead of cooking the sauce on the stove ahead of time (and dirtying more dishes) I mixed the ingredients and threw the sauce right into the pot with the chicken.
I opted not to sear the thighs first, but you totally could. I just didn’t think it was worth the trouble this time. I just sealed the lid and set it on manual for ten minutes.
I also thought quick release was fine, but you could let it go natural if that’s your thing – thighs are super forgiving in the Instant Pot, so it’s all good.
After the ten minutes are up, the sauce needs a little thickening, so remove your chicken using a slotted spoon and set the IP back to saute. As the sauce simmers, if you want it a little thicker, just stir in some tapioca, cornstarch or thickener of your choice. I found when I doubled the recipe, I needed to do this, but with one batch it was perfect after a couple mins of simmering.
And that’s it! Enjoy delicious BBQ year round thanks to the Instant Pot!
For Slow Cooker Instructions, see the recipe card!Print
This 21 Day Fix Instant Pot Maple BBQ Chicken is gluten-free, dairy-free, and so amazingly easy to make in your Instant Pot! It was a hit with my husband and the kids. Enjoy BBQ all year long with your Instant Pot.
- 1 to 1.5 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup of coconut aminos (or sub low sodium soy sauce if not gluten-free)
- 3 Tbsp pure maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- sprinkle of sea or Himalayan salt and black pepper
- optional – thickener of your choice (arrowroot, tapioca, cornstarch, etc)
- Place chicken thighs in Instant Pot.
- Mix together the remaining ingredients (besides thickener). Pour sauce over chicken.
- Set to manual for 10 minutes. After cook time, switch to quick release. Open the lid carefully once it is unlocked. Remove chicken thighs with slotted spoon and set aside.
- To thicken the BBQ sauce, set Instant Pot to saute. Stir as it simmers. If you need to thicken it more, add in your choice of thickener, one tsp at a time until desired thickness. Taste and adjust seasonings and add a touch more maple syrup for a sweeter sauce. Cover chicken with sauce and enjoy!
- For the slow cooker: Place thighs and ingredients for BBQ sauce in crock pot. Cook on low for 4 hours. After cook time is through, simmer sauce in a small saucepan over medium low heat until desired thickness. Enjoy!
1 RED, 1 tsp – I count it this way bc thighs have more fat than chicken breasts.
Weight Watchers Freestyle Points – 8 points per serving (5 if you use chicken breasts)
- Serving Size: 2/3 cup of chicken
Keywords: BBQ, chicken, instant pot, gluten-free, dinner, lunch, meal prep, dairy-free