Citrus Maple Dijon dressing and crumbled goat cheese make these turkey burgers extra special and incredibly delicious! We like them over greens but would also be great served on a whole wheat bun with a veggie on the side!
Confession: This is actually my first ever turkey burger post.
So weird, right?
I mean, turkey burgers are one of my favorite Fix approved lunches and I swear they keep me more full than other kinds of proteins.
But I guess there are so many already FIXed recipes already out there that I love, I just haven’t gotten around to putting one up of my own.
And I guess my family kind of digs beef burgers, so I end up making them more often.
Plus turkey burgers can be a little…I don’t know…high maintenance? Compared to my no-frills beef burger (olive oil and salt are the only ingredients I use) anyway. There’s usually more mixing and chopping involved .
But these are definitely an exception to that. They are SO, SO simple, but the addition of the warmed goat cheese and the citrusy-maple Dijon sauce make them feel incredibly special.
The idea for this one came from a Bobby Flay recipe that I saw on the Food Network…I swear he is the burger guru. Everything I have learned about how to make a good burger came from him.
And these are no exception.
If it’s nice out, you can totally grill these outside. But since it’s March in PA and our weather hasn’t gotten the hint that it’s spring, I made them indoors in my cast iron pan.
You could serve these burgers on FIX approved buns, but both my husband and I ate them over the arugula for a nice dose of leafy greens. The flavor combo pairs perfectly! If you end up using bread, be sure you count some yellow.
Either way, they won’t disappoint! If you give them a try, be sure you let me know. I LOVE hearing from you!Print
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 2 T maple syrup (or sub honey)
- 1 T fresh orange juice
- 1/2 tsp orange zest
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 1 lb lean ground turkey or chicken
- 2/3 cup crumbly goat cheese (I used the honey goat cheese from Aldi)
- salt and pepper
- arugula or mixed greens
- For the Citrus Maple Dijon: Whisk together in a small bowl the mustard, maple syrup, orange juice, lemon and orange zest, lemon juice and season with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes and up to 24 hours to allow the flavors to meld. Taste and add more maple if desired.
- For the burgers: Preheat the grill to high or an oiled grill pan/cast iron pan to medium high. Form the meat into four, 4-ounce burgers. Sprinkle the burgers on both sides with salt and pepper. Grill until cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes on each side. During the last minutes of cooking, add goat cheese to each burger, cover the grill/pan with foil and let the cheese soften slightly, about 1 minute. Place cooked burgers on a bed of arugula and drizzle with the Maple Citrus Dijon. Enjoy!
21 Day Fix: 1 RED, 1 GREEN (arugula), 1/2 BLUE per serving
WW Freestyle: 8 points per serving (5 points if using 99% turkey and reduced fat cheese)
- Serving Size: 1 burger
Keywords: turkey burgers, burgers, grilling, gluten-free, high-protein, low-fat