Confession #67 – There’s something about snowstorms that make me hungry.
Oh – and they also make me drink a lot of wine.
In other words, I might be slightly over my yellow count after this weekend’s blizzard.
And that’s why recipes like this one are SO important. Cheesy, delicious comfort food that is only ONE yellow. In my current challenge group (which is totally amazing, by the way), this Mexican Lasagna recipe is all the rage. And what better time to try it than during a blizzard?
Except when I looked at the recipe, the container count seemed off…and there was definitely more than ONE yellow there.
I thought about just recalculating the recipe and making it as is…but then I poured another glass of wine and realized I need to do something.
So I fixed it. I cut out some of the tortillas and used less refried beans, hoping that it wouldn’t change much of the overall taste. I even squeezed in some corn for color. I haven’t had the original, but my true ONE yellow version of this Mexican Lasagna was absolutely delicious and the perfect meal after shoveling 30+ inches of snow from the driveway.
I also kept it to less than a full blue…because, really, this needs to be topped with avocado. Trust me. And some fresh cilantro, jalapeno, and cilantro lime yogurt sauce doesn’t hurt, either!
Want to make dinner planning a breeze? Check out my eBooks on Etsy with delicious and easy FIX approved recipes, full grocery lists, and prep tips to keep your time in the kitchen to a minimum!
Serving Size: 1/6 of pan
- 2 bell peppers
- 1 medium onion
- 1 lb lean ground sirloin or other protein
- 2 T salt free taco seasoning
- 1 1/3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup of refried beans
- 1/4 cup of corn
- 1 can of Rotel
- olive oil cooking spray
- 8 gluten free corn tortillas, cut in half
- 2/3 cup of diced avocado
- diced jalapeno
- cilantro lime yogurt sauce
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Dice the peppers and onions. Heat olive oil in a large skillet and add diced peppers and onions and cook until tender. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
- Brown your ground meat in the skillet until cooked through. Add Rotel, cooked onions and peppers, corn, and southwest seasoning to the meat. Simmer for a few minutes.
- Spray the bottom of a 9×13 pan with cooking spray. Line the bottom of the pan with 8 tortilla halves and spray tortillas with a bit more cooking spray. Then spread with half of the refried beans, then layer 1/2 of the meat and vegetable mixture over top.
- Layer the remaining 8 tortilla halves on top of the meat mixture and repeat the directions above.
- Sprinkle the shredded cheese evenly over the top.
- Bake at 375 for 30 minutes, or until heated through and cheese is hot and bubbly.
- Top with diced jalapenos, fresh cilantro, avocado, and some cilantro line yogurt sauce and enjoy!
21 Day Fix Container Count:
1 YELLOW 1 GREEN 2/3 RED (but a full red if using the yogurt sauce) 1 BLUE (with avocado topping)