This 21 Day Fix Instant Pot Mac and Cheese is so creamy delicious thanks to our secret ingredient: cauliflower puree! This post contains affiliate links to products I’m obsessed with.
I’ve been wanting to make-over my mom’s baked Mac and Cheese recipe for awhile now…you know, the one with the crispy breadcrumbs on top?
I could eat that meal every day for the rest of my life.
Anyway, I have been having WAY too much fun with my Instant Pot, so baked casseroles have taken a back seat for now.
For those of you who don’t have an Instant Pot yet, I’m sorry…but I am serious when I say put in on your wish list because it is LIFE CHANGING!
Anyway, this Mac and Cheese makes a hearty side dish and couldn’t be quicker or easier to make. I love the creaminess of Cauliflower Puree in dishes like this, so I used it in place of heavy cream or milk and for me the end product was the perfect texture and cheesiness.
I tried my best to make the serving size as large as possible, but it’s tricky to balance the right amount of blue with the right amount of yellow. You could bulk this up by adding additional veggies or protein, but I am picky when it comes to my Mac and Cheese…I have no problem adding things in, but then let’s call it something else. Like Cheesy Chicken and Broccoli Pasta Bake.
Ooooh – that sounds good, doesn’t it?
But if it’s actual Mac and Cheese I’m after, this dish really does the job. Like lick the bowl clean kind of deal.
For all of you non- Instant Pot users, I promise to get you a baked and Fix friendly Mac and Cheese before too long, so stick with me!
If you give this Instant Pot Mac and Cheese a try, be sure to let me know what you think
How do I cook Gluten Free pasta in the Instant Pot?
I have learned to cut the stovetop cook time in half, then subtract 2 minutes. This was after having to throw out several batches of pasta…and gluten-free can be even trickier, but Barilla GF seems to work the best! If you have any IP pasta tricks, please share!
What if I have leftover cauliflower puree?
Use it in another recipe! Try one of these-
Instant Pot Mac and Cheese
- 1 head cauliflower cut into florets
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth divided use, can sub water
- 2 cups water
- 3 cups elbow pasta I used a 12 oz box of gluten free Barilla
- 4 teaspoons vegan butter, butter, or ghee
- 2 1/2 cups freshly shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons pecorino romano optional, but highly recommended!
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- Place the steam basket at the bottom of your Instant Pot. Add cauliflower florets and 2 cups of water. Set IP to 3 minutes on manual setting. After cook time is through, carefully set to quick release and wait for steam to stop before opening the lid. Drain the cauliflower and puree in a food processor with 1/2 cup of the chicken broth. Measure out 2 cups of the puree for the Mac and Cheese. Freeze extra puree to use later.
- Add pasta, 2 cups of broth, garlic powder, butter, salt, and dry mustard into the IP. Set to manual for 2 minutes. After cook time is through, place a kitchen towel over the steam vent and switch to quick release. Wait for the steam to stop before opening the lid.
- Stir cheese and 2 cups of cauliflower puree into the pasta and mix well. Serve immediately!