Frozen Strawberry Rhubarb Margaritas blend together the tart taste of rhubarb and the sweetness of strawberries, mixed together with the classic combination of tequila and lime juice. Toss in a blender, pour into a salt rimmed glass, slip on some sunnies and waste away to Margaritaville…with a twist! This post contains affiliate links to products I’m obsessed with.
Guys, I’ve found the perfect summer cocktail! I mean really, these Frozen Strawberry Rhubarb Margaritas just scream summer gathering to me. Fresh, fruity, tangy, tequila. Not to mention, EASY. Invite the girls over and you’re ready for a good time. Sip, sip, hooray!
You might be wondering, however, what exactly is rhubarb? You’ve probably heard it in combination with strawberry like in strawberry rhubarb pie. On its own, rhubarb is extremely tart so it’s generally cooked with sugar and paired with something sweet (like strawberries) in order to balance out the taste. There’s some controversy in the plant and culinary world over whether rhubarb is technically a fruit or a vegetable, but for the 21 Day Fix it is a GREEN container food.
It looks a bit like celery stalks, only pink in color. This tart, pink, enigma of an ingredient is only in season from April to June. But don’t worry, if you’re as obsessed with it as I am, chop it up and freeze it so you can make desserts and cocktails all year round!
Now that you know what you’re making, let’s get to bartending!
Ingredients for Frozen Strawberry Rhubarb Margaritas
- frozen strawberries – Using frozen fruit means no need for ice cubes, so you don’t dilute the yummy flavor!
- frozen chopped rhubarb – If you love rhubarb like I do but hate when it’s no longer in season, buy it fresh and freeze it so you can have it all year long! A hot (cold?) tip from me to you!
- honey –The honey lends a natural sweetness as opposed to refined sugar.
- fresh lime juice – What’s a proper margarita without a splash of lime juice? And of course, fresh is best.
- tequila – The star of our show, blanco, or silver/white, tequila is known for its bold flavor and is a prime choice for cocktails. Any tequila with 100% agave will make for a deliciously light and fun cocktail! It’s all about your preference!
- cold water – To smooth out the consistency of your cocktail.
How to make Frozen Strawberry Rhubarb Margaritas
While this recipe is for only one margarita, you can easily double, triple, quadruple the ingredients to fit your needs or party size!
1. Place all of the ingredients in a high speed blender and pulse until smooth. You can add more water if necessary until you reach the consistency you like.
2. Serve in salt rimmed glasses – so yummy! I love how the salt on the rim compliments the sweetness of the strawberry and the tartness of the rhubarb!
3. Garnish with a slice of lime or strawberry, or even add a piece of rhubarb to float on top and enjoy!
Can I use fresh strawberries as opposed to frozen?
You sure can! You will need to add ice if you aren’t using frozen strawberries to get the same consistency. Adding ice can dilute the flavor so you may want to up the amount of strawberry, rhubarb, honey, lime juice, and tequila to make for a more powerful flavor.
You could always pop your fresh strawberries in the freezer for a bit, too!
What pairs well with the strawberry rhubarb margaritas?
Margaritas are always a go to for summer celebrations like Cinco de Mayo, Memorial Day, Labor Day, etc. You can’t go wrong with whipping up a big batch and serving alongside delicious tacos, like these flavorful Air Fryer Shrimp Tacos. Or try them with a juicy BBQ Chicken Burger, Mexican street corn, nachos, a fresh salad, the possibilities are endless!
Check Out These Scrumptious Strawberry Based Recipes The Next Time You Need A Strawberry Fix! Add In Some Rhubarb For That Can’t Beat Flavor Combo!Print
Strawberry Rhubarb Margaritas blend together the tart taste of rhubarb and the sweetness of strawberries, mixed together with the classic combination of tequila and lime juice. Toss in a blender, pour into a salt rimmed glass, slip on some sunnies and waste away to Margaritaville…with a twist!
1 cup frozen strawberries
1/4 cup frozen chopped rhubarb (I buy it fresh and freeze it so I have it all year long)
2 tsp honey
1–2 T fresh lime juice
1/4 ish cup of cold water
- Place all the ingredients in a high speed blender and pulse until smooth, adding more water if necessary.
- Serve in salt rimmed glasses – so yummy!
21 Day Fix Containers: 1 YELLOW drink swap