This Instant Pot Jambalaya uses chicken andouille sausage and a homemade Cajun seasoning to give the traditional New Orleans favorite a healthy twist!
For the Cajun Seasoning
- 1/2 tsp of sea or kosher salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/8 red pepper flakes (optional)
For the Jambalaya
- 6 tsp olive oil, divided
- 1/2 lb chicken sausage, sliced – I used fully cooked Andouille Sausage
- 1/2 lb medium sized shrimp – I kept the tail on for pics, but it might be better with the tail off
- 1/2 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs, diced
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice
- 1 1/2 cups organic chicken stock or broth
- 1 (14.5oz) can of diced tomatoes
- 1 onion diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 stalks of celery, diced
- 2 bell peppers, diced
- Mix up the Cajun Seasoning and set aside.
- Turn IP to sauté and add in 2 tsp of olive oil. Brown sausage slices, then remove from pot. Add in an additional 2 tsp of oil. Season shrimp with 1/2 tsp of the cajun seasoning. Add shrimp to the Instant Pot and sauté until cooked through, usually just a few minutes. Remove from Pot and set aside with the chicken sausage.
- Add remaining 2 tsp of olive oil to the IP, and add in onions, celery, bell peppers, garlic and 3 tsp cajun seasoning. Stir until fragrant, then add in rice, chicken, diced tomatoes, and broth. Place lid on the IP and set to manual for 22 minutes.
- When cook time is finished, do a natural release for 10 minutes, then a quick release for any remaining steam.
- After the lid unlocked, open and stir in sausage and shrimp. Taste and adjust salt/seasoning as desired (there should be extra seasoning left over to add if you want to!)
1 Red, 1 Yellow, 1 Green, 1 tsp
Weight Watchers Freestyle Points – 9 per serving or 8 if using chicken breast instead of thighs
- Serving Size: approx 1 cup