A fun spin on a Cucumber Tomato Salad with the addition of Avocado, Feta and a yummy, honey lemon dressing, this is the perfect Summer Salad or Picnic Side!
I know it’s still summer, but guys, how is it September already?
I swear it was just Fourth of July, and summer was newly here, full of sunshine, and promise, and warm days. And now it’s basically Labor Day weekend and I am actually chilly and wearing a sweatshirt.
Anyway, when it was Fourth of July (you know, five minutes ago), we made last minute plans to go to our lake house for a quick trip. And since it was just us, we didn’t do our usual big shopping trip for meals to make while we are there. We just cleaned out our fridge and brought what we had.
I was originally thinking about making my Mediterranean Chickpea Salad, but guess who was out of chickpeas? I also had no peppers of any kind.
But I did have cucumbers, tomatoes, feta, and a perfectly ripe avocado.
And that is how this yummy Cucumber Tomato Salad was born!
Ingredients for Cucumber Tomato Salad with Avocado + Feta
This isn’t my grandma’s cucumber and tomato salad (which is also delish by the way) – it’s bright, fun, but the avocado and feta give it a little extra creaminess and zip!
For the Salad:
- red onion
- cherry tomatoes
- crumbled feta cheese
- fresh cilantro (or dill)
For the dressing:
- fresh lemon juice
- extra-virgin olive oil
How to Make this Cucumber Tomato Salad Recipe
To make this yummy salad:
- Soak the red onions in cold water to remove some of the harsh bite
- Whisk together the dressing ingredients
- Mix the cucumbers, tomatoes, avocado, 2.5 T of the feta, and cilantro. Drain the red onion, then add it to the bowl and pour the dressing over the top. Stir to combine then sprinkle more feta on top.
Can I make this Cucumber Tomato Avocado Salad in Advance?
This salad comes together very quickly and can be made in advance, so it’s perfect for meal prep or to bring to your next summer potluck. For best results, mix in the avocado and the feta topping right before serving, so the avocado stays fresh.
If you have leftovers, they will still taste yummy the next day, but the avocado will be slightly brown. I still love it!
Can I omit the Feta Cheese? How can I make this salad vegan?
Yes! If you are dairy free, you can omit the feta cheese. If you are looking for a vegan cucumber and tomato salad, you can sub maple syrup for honey and omit the cheese.
What is the serving size for this salad?
You could have a full cup of this salad as a nutritious and filling side, but if you are using it for a potluck or picnic side, you could eat 1/2 cup as well.
What can I serve with this Cucumber and Tomato Salad?
I love making this side with my:
- My Fave Burger Recipe + Burger Sauce
- Easy Lemon Chicken
- Spice Rubbed Whole Chicken
- Balsamic Pork Tenderloin
Or I make some grilled chicken and serve this salad over mixed greens!
I meant to get this Salad to you all earlier in the summer, but really it’s just in time for Labor Day weekend! So enjoy, friends!
More Fun Summer Salads:
Creamy Cole Slaw | The Foodie and The Fix
Cucumber Tomato Salad with Avocado + Feta
For the Salad:
- ¼ small red onion diced
- 2 cups chopped cucumber about one whole cucumber with the seeds removed if desired (I scoop them out and then chop into half moons)
- 1 pint halved cherry tomatoes about 2 cups
- 3/4 avocado peeled, pitted, and diced
- ⅓ cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro or dill
For the dressing:
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice from 1-2 fresh lemons
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 cloves minced garlic about 1 teaspoon
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- Place the diced red onions in a small bowl and cover them with cold water (this helps remove some of the onions’ harsh bite).
- In a small bowl or large measuring cup, whisk together the dressing ingredients and set aside.
- In a very large bowl, place the cucumbers, tomatoes, avocado, 2.5 T of the feta, and cilantro. Drain the red onion, then add it to the bowl. Pour the dressing over the top, then stir very gently to combine. Sprinkle the remaining feta over the top. Enjoy immediately.