If I had to choose my favorite recipe of the year, it would easily be my 21 Day Fix One Skillet Lazy Zucchini Lasagna. It’s all my favorite things in one dish.
And now that it’s Fall, we clearly needed an Autumn inspired version.
This Lazy, One Skillet Butternut Squash Lasagna tastes like Fall on a plate. I was worried that my husband wouldn’t like it, but he at three servings in one night. #Oops!
Given the enormous portion size of this lasagna, it was actually pretty impressive.
The hardest part of making this lasagna is peeling and slicing the Butternut squash. I find poking it with a fork and microwaving it for a few minutes first makes a huge difference.
The rest was super easy and quick, just like the original with zucchini. Oh – and I used ground beef in this version, because I grew up eating dinners like beef stew and shepherd’s pie in the fall. But this would be equally as fabulous with ground chicken or turkey sausage – especially a spicy Italian flavored one.
As the weather turns colder, make this easy and delicious dinner to warm you up! Happy October, everyone!
Serving Size: 1/4 of skillet
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 cups of butternut squash, sliced into half or quartered moons
- 1 cup of fresh spinach, shredded
- 1 lb of grass fed ground sirloin (would also be great with poultry sausage)
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups of homemade or no-sugar added jarred tomato or marinara sauce
- 1 1/4 cup of ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 T of Parmesan cheese, plus more for topping
- 1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese
- fresh ground pepper
- fresh basil
- In a broil safe pan, warm olive oil over medium-low heat and then add butternut squash. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, cover, and cook squash 10-12 minutes or until fork tender, adding up to 1/4 cup of water to help steam it, if necessary. Be sure to stir frequently. (Alternatively, you could saute squash for a few minutes, then add 20 minutes of bake time at 350 after assembling the lasagna before broiling to cook it through).
- Remove squash from pan and put aside.
- Add beef to pan and cook through. Add onions, garlic and spinach; cook until soft. Stir 1/4 cup of sauce to beef mixture.
- Add butternut squash back to pan, and flatten beef and veggies down slightly. Top with sauce
- Mix one egg, and T of Parmesan cheese into ricotta and sprinkle with fresh ground pepper. Layer ricotta mixture on top sauce.
- Finally, top with mozzarella cheese.
- Place in your broiler on low for 5-10 minutes or until cheese gets nice and toasty brown. Keep an eye on it, as it happens fast!
- Top with extra basil, Parmesan cheese, and sauce if desired.
21 Day Fix Container Count:
Each serving is 1 GREEN, 1 1/2 RED, 3/4 BLUE (a whole if you top with extra Parmesan), 1/2 tsp